Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tattered Florals - A Grunge Flower Tutorial

Tim Holtz's Grunge Roses are popping up on blogs and projects everywhere, so I thought I'd give you all a Courtney style tutorial on how they're made. I first made these during Tim's 12 Tags of Christmas, and absolutely fell in love with the technique...but some how managed to forget to make them for a few months. They look beautiful when they are made from Grunge Paper, as they were on my Christmas tags, but this time, I chose to use a heavy card stock.



I used the following supplies on my roses:


  • Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations Die - Tattered Florals
  • Recollections Card Stock
  • Prima Clear Stamp - Music Notes
  • Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain
  • Shimmer Color Spray
  • Ranger's Glossy Accents

Begin by cutting out three of one of the 6 petal flowers on the Tattered Florals die. 

Cut one petal off of one flower, cut 2 petals off of another, and on the third, just cut between 2 petals to the center.

Ink the edges of the flowers with Walnut Stain Distress Ink, and stamp the Music Notes stamp with Vintage Photo.

Spray the flowers with your choice of a shimmery color spray.

Be creative with this part! I made my own spray using Tim Holtz's Distress Ink Re-inker in Vintage Photo, Forever Red Perfect Pearls, and water! You can watch my video on making your own mist on my YouTube Channel.


Apply Glossy Accents to one petal, and adhere the flower to itself in a cone shape. You may have to hold it for a few seconds to help the glue set.






Use a pencil, or the like, to roll the petals on all the flowers.

Try varying the way in which you roll the petals - some tight and some loose.






From largest to smallest, stack and glue the flowers together.




You may have to snip 1/8 inch or so off of the ends in order for them to sit nicely together. Trimming the end off of the smallest piece is definitely essential.




Ta-dah! You have a beautiful rose!





Use a heavy does of Glossy Accents, hot glue, or even glue dots to adhere this beautiful creation to a card, scrapbook layout, or even some sort of home accent :)

I'd love to see the awesome roses you all come up with! Send photos :)

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial! It was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow gf.. these are beautiful.. love love how u share what u do.... beautiful work.. wowza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made these before. But I didn't know they were started by Tim. I just used a 5 petal punch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks so much for this tut. they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous flowers! Thanks so much for showing how to make them. Great photos too BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this tutorial. Love the grunge roses. Need to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this I going to give it a TRY!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen a bunch of videos but I like to have it right in front of me the first couple times. Thanks for taking the time to put together a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! Reading them is always the high light of my day!

~Courtney